Wednesday 17 June 2009

Getting Together for Human Rights

The on-line community group GetUp organises GetTogethers occasionally for grass roots feedback on important issues such as reconciliation. Last week I joined in by hosting one in my local area. Eight people I had never met joined me at the local coffee shop to go through GetUp's agenda and form our submission to the Human Rights Enquiry. It was an inspiring evening with some very smart, aware people. We decided that despite the legislation protecting rights already in place, a Human Rights Act would prevent people slipping through the cracks. So I prepared our submission and sent it in. Democracy in action!

1 comment:

martie said...

FANTASTIC! Protection of rights is so very important -- and you are correct. So many fall through the cracks. And what a great organization! I'm going to have to read up on them!

I have to tell you I thought you must be in a deep, dark depression. I've linked your site to a single post instead of your general URL so I kept checking and going to your 25 Apr post! What a dork I am. I'm going to fix that shortly.

Also, I want to let you know that I really admire you and what you do. Teaching, art and your devotion to human, animal and earth rights/protection. I'm awarding you the Kreative Blogger award. You can check it out on my site. :-)