Friday 15 January 2010

Invictus = unconquerable

Nothing like going to the harbourside outdoor cinema in the botanical gardens on a night that has thunderstorms threatening. Each night books out as soon as the bookings open in December, so you go for the movie you want and hope for the best weather-wise. People arrive at about six for dinner and wine, watch the sun set over the opera house then enjoy the movie. So, we did all that, but between dinner and movie there was a sensational thunderstorm and pouring rain. Undeterred, everyone donned the plastic ponchos thoughtfully supplied, and stoically soldiered on with the eating and drinking. No one complained, people were laughing and taking photos, and the rain stopped just as the giant screen rose over the water. And the movie? Excellent! It is named for Mandela's favourite poem, which concludes:
..."I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul".

2 comments:

patti said...

Sounds like a great night! This is my favourite poem also - I didn't know it was Mandela's too!

martie said...

That is it. I need to immigrate!