Tuesday 20 January 2009

We are Family...


I've been musing on the topic of family lately. How you are still connected, whether you ring each other every day, week, or once a year on birthdays (when the birthday person is usually out celebrating and misses your call!). Technology has helped families stay in touch more often and more easily - blogs, g-mail chat, texts, e-mails....but some feel this is no replacement for a live chat. I always feel that extended family are close to me, as we just pick up where we left off when we catch up. I guess that years of growing up under the same roof makes an indelible connection. My immediate family (Paull & Eliza) are a great source of pride, friendship and support for me - I enjoyed every bit of parenting them towards adulthood. Of course, there are inevitable clashes in families, but your love and kinship pulls you through those. I also love the way that our little family of three opens up and includes a variety of friends - as my fridge magnet says "Friends are the Family we choose for ourselves" (very wise, fridge magnets, I find.......)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A beautifully written post, Cate. And I couldn't agree with you more. I love my little family (my 3 girls and me). And I'm blessed with friends as well. I love how technology has made it easier to stay in touch - not the same as in person, but oh so much more than those old letters that took forever to arrive!