Friday 11 January 2008

Things we gather around us




Reading Bohemian Mom's blog made me think about how we decorate the space around us. Not the big items, the little collections that spring up, seemingly without a plan. An artist friend has a book "Women and their Altars" - in many cultures, women make altars in their homes. My friend says we all do this - just look around your house! So I did. The Buddha is there because I love one that my sister-in-law has, so I found my own; there are two lovely pics of my kids together plus a sillouhette of them at the age of 4 and 2; there are books read, waiting to be read, waiting to be returned to their owners. My best books are NOT there - they get given away. Also there is my Lovelife book, all the way from Canada. With 365 illustrations, I turn the page every day or so to get inspired. Thanks, Kal Barteski!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful space! I bet you have many special places in your home. I have several places that end up being alters. I also have 2 real alters, but they end up collecting all sorts of stuff!

Anonymous said...

This was fascinating, I am going to have to walk around and see if I have any alters...Thanks! new eyes! I love it!

Peggy Houston, TX said...

Wow - this is sooo interesting. I do have an altar! in my bedroom - I am going to take photos tomorrow (with sun) and post. Enjoying your blog!

Sorrow said...

I have searched the house, if dust and cobwebs count I have many small alters, but with a house full, space becomes a collecting point.
sigh