Sunday, 23 December 2007

Wonders of Nature

My daughter's friend (an arborist) brought us this amazing protea - it seems to me to have a kind of cute face! I'm trying to sketch it from different angles but it is difficult to catch the 3D effect. It's got me thinking about mathematics and the universe - no, really - so many things in nature conform to the Fibonacci number pattern ( sea shells, sunflowers, pineapples ) and I bet this petal pattern does too. I'll keep on trying to sketch it, nothing like a challenge!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful flower! I actually had to look it up on the internet because I can't recall ever seeing one. I have learned a bit about this beauty, including the fact that I want to grow them when I retire! Thanks for sharing this one!

Dandelion seeds said...

I never ceased to be amazed at mother natures many gifts. What an awesome flower!!!

Bohemian Mom said...

That has got to be the coolest flower ever!
Happy Christmas to you!
xo