Thursday 25 February 2010

Serendipity in the garden


No post since mid Feb? Mainly because everything I wanted to blog about needed a photo, and my camera is so big, and cumbersome, and fragile, that I tend to leave it at home or not have it handy. I need (need?) to get a small, cheap point 'n' shoot that will fit in my bag and won't break my heart if it gets wet or dropped. So, I've just gone out into my compact back garden and taken this shot, even though it is 7.00pm and the dogs are trying to lick my face while I lean down to take this.

Because I don't know what it is, or from whence it came. But it looks like a real plant, not a weed, so I've let it grow. Now it has a small white flower. Any gardeners out there know what it is? Will I transplant it into a pot? Will it spread? Is it Jack and the Beanstalk? I do like a garden that plants itself.

4 comments:

Helen Jane Morley said...

Well I'm not really a gardener but it looks like a Begonia. Could have come from a bird's bottom :)

Sorrow said...

I'm with Helen, I am thinking it's a begonia too!
and sometimes they have pretty pink flowers

Annie said...

I jumped up and decided to tell you that it was a begonia, so three out of three agrees.
They are pretty, very hardy and drought resistant. You could pop it into a pot- they love it. When it gets bigger it can be divided into another begonia.It probably was dropped as a seed by a bird, or floated over from Judy's house in a rainstorm.

martie said...

I have no clue - but it's going to be big I bet! And beautiful!!