Sunday 22 April 2007

Just Show Up



I'm the first to admit that I don't visit Mum often enough - one and a half hours each way to spend an hour with someone who won't remember the visit is easy to put off - especially when Pat is doing the regular checking in. When I do, however, I know that for the time I am actually present, she is stimulated and engaged and hopefully that feeling stays around a while after I've left. Yesterday I took a pile of photos with me which turned out to be a good move - she enjoyed looking and commenting on each one, even though she was not really aware of who or where she was looking at. So, Anne and Helen - start printing out some photos to show her next month, she will enjoy it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a sad condition. I'm impressed by your courage and determination to be a presence in your mom's life. I believe on some level, she knows you and your visits really do make a difference in her life.

The Dream said...

Hi Cate, I am a friend of Patti's.

I just stopped by your blog and wanted to let you know how much I love your photos!

This one of your mother ... makes me think of my 93 year old father. His lucidity is ever-so-occasional and it's hard to see a once brilliant man in such a different way of being. But he's always happy to see me, even though he doesn't have a clue as to who I am (most of the time).

patti said...

I have enrolled Mum in a Research Project they are conducting through Hammond Care called "Improving quality of life and reducing depression in people with dementia" It's focussed on Singing and Reminiscing, tapping into the spiritual and creative side of people. I thought it would be good for her and may lift her spirits. So here's hoping she will cooperate.

Serendipity said...

While I was there on Saturday she was singing along, word-perfect, to some old songs they were playing, so it sounds like a good idea.